Thursday, November 22, 2012

One Ingredient Ice Cream

Is it just me or are frozen yogurt shops popping up faster than CSI spinoffs? I'm not complaining. For me, frozen yogurt is the ultimate sweet treat, not to mention, a healthy alternative to ice cream. Each of them have so many flavors from classic vanilla to bubble gum with toppings from sprinkles, berries, and candy bar bits to mochi and fruity pebbles. When I'm feeling frozen yogurt, I am that person who has to sample EVERY flavor in the shop before I decide on the one. Then, I lose all self control at the topping bar, where I pile white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, Reese's peanut butter cups, Butterfinger, cheesecake bits, brownie bits, and whatever else catches my eye atop my soft serve swirl. By the time I get to the cash register and the yogurt scale, the toppings outweigh the fro-yo. I have then officially cancelled out any health benefits frozen yogurt offers over ice cream. But do I lament this fact? Never! I enjoy every spoonful.

While the self-serve-charge-by-weight franchises offer frozen yogurt for just cents per ounce, frequenting these shops adds up. Even still, budget and calorie wise, frozen yogurt comes out ahead of ice cream. But what if I told you I know of a cool, sweet treat that is cheaper and healthier than frozen yogurt? What if I told you it's made from one ingredient? Well, I'm telling you. It's BANANAS!

Frozen, overripe bananas take on an ice cream-like consistency when blended in a food processor or blender. Fresh bananas become bitter when frozen, so wait until your fruit is speckled brown for firmer, scooped ice cream consistency, or until they have large brown spots for a more soft-serve texture. Whatever your preference, this treat is inexpensive, quick, healthy, and delicious!

For a large scoop size portion, you need 2 overripe bananas. (I like soft-serve consistency, so I chose super ripe bananas.) Peel them, cut in half, then slice each half into 1 inch pieces. Place those pieces in the freezer until they're, well, frozen:)


After an hour or two, the pieces should be firm, but not rock hard like ice. Little crystals may be present on the flesh of the fruit.
 

Dump the pieces into your blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then blend for a few seconds more.

Now from here you can either eat the banana ice cream as is or you can add a tablespoon of nutella or peanut butter, a drizzle of caramel sauce, or a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. Experiment with your favorite flavors!

  

Unlike my frozen yogurt extravaganzas, I like this treat simple. I top my banana ice cream with whipped cream, caramel sauce, and walnuts. That's how I do a healthy ice cream sundae!


One Ingredient Ice Cream

recipe by Sweet & Savory

Ingredients:

2 overripe bananas, frozen and cut into pieces
desired ice cream toppings (nuts, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, etc.)

Directions:

In a food processor, pulse frozen banana pieces until smooth. Scrape the sides of the food processor and pulse 2-3 times more. 

Scoop into an ice cream bowl and create your ice cream sundae. 

No comments:

Post a Comment