Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pumpkin Chorizo Pizza

Raise your hand if you're still living off of Thanksgiving leftovers! During the weekend, my roommates and I dutifully devoured the best stuff first- mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, green bean casserole, and pie (we actually ate the pie for breakfast the next day). Now all that remains is enough turkey for a few sandwiches or salads and the leftover pumpkin puree from the pumpkin pie. Usually, I forget about the pumpkin puree until I find it weeks later, shoved into the back of my fridge and blanketed with mold....I'm not proud. So when I packaged the excess pumpkin puree in a tupperware this year I promised myself I'd use every last spoonful, and I have succeeded!

In my opinion, the best use of pumpkin puree is a glorious, smooth pumpkin pie. After that, I usually resort to pumpkin chocolate chip cookies or stir a few tablespoons into my morning oatmeal. I decided to take pumpkin puree into a completely different direction, not using it for sweets, but for something savory. The obvious answer to my savory pumpkin search is soup, but I wanted to try something a little more adventurous. Let me tell you, I was rewarded! And as will you after you try this Spanish/Mexican take on the classic pepperoni pizza.

Usually I like to make my own pizza crust. I haven't even tried to find yeast in the supermercado yet! For the sake of time and to avoid more grocery store headaches, I used a store bought, par-baked, 12-inch pizza crust. Adjust the amount of sauce and toppings needed for your pizza depending on the size of the crust you're working with.


Slice the onion and bell pepper into thin strips. In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and bell pepper and salt and pepper liberally. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft 25-30 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. In a small bowl, stir pumpkin puree, salt, pepper, thyme, and cayenne pepper.


Preheat your oven to the pizza crust's package or recipe instructions. In the same pan you used to cook the onions and bell pepper, on medium-high heat, cook the minced garlic until fragrant. Add the pumpkin puree mixture and chicken stock to the pan and stir to combine. Bring pumpkin sauce to a boil, the remove from heat.


Place pizza dough on a cookie sheet or round pizza pan. Spread the pumpkin sauce on the unbaked pizza crust. 


Top with onions and bell peppers. Thinly slice the chorizo and add to the pizza. Scatter the cheese on top of the pizza and get excited!


Bake according to your pizza crust's packaging or recipe instructions. Try to let cool slightly before diving in!

Pumpkin Chorizo Pizza

Recipe by Sweet & Savory

Ingredients:

12-inch pizza crust (storebought or homemade)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 link Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated cheese

Directions:

Heat olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and salt and pepper liberally. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pan.

Preheat your oven according to your pizza crust's packaging or recipe instructions. Combine pumpkin puree, salt, pepper, thyme, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.

Heat the same pan used for cooking the onions and pepper to medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the pumpkin puree mixture and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.

Place pizza crust on a cookie sheet or round pizza pan. Spread crust with pumpkin sauce, top with the onions and bell pepper, chorizo slices, and cheese. Bake according to the pizza crust's packaging or recipe instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment